A new worldwide challenge for YCOM!
Lately, FIA and SRO Motorsport Group officially presented the new hybrid Formula4 by KCMG for the FIA Motorsport Games that will be held for the first time in Rome on 1-3 November! KCMG won the tender to supply the car and YCOM was chosen to support KCMG in this new challenge.
The KC – MG01 is completely new car, designed and manufactured exclusively for FIA Motorsport Games and it will be used for the next three years of the event. No other use or applications are planned.
The car is designed according to the 2019 FIA Formula 4 regulation and it’s also the first Formula 4 with the HALO safety structure and the first ever Formula car that has a Hybrid Power Unit except for Formula One.
The project has been quite tough: only nine months to develop a brand-new car to the latest regulation with a hybrid powertrain and manufacture 30 of them.
YCOM team, in a key role of player behind the scenes, is working hard now to get ready for the event in November.
…. MORE ABOUT THE NEW F4 KC-MG01
• The decision on manufacturing a completely a car for the FIA World Motorsport Games was done in November 2018 after the Formula 3 race in Macao.
• Since its conception it was clear that it was a tight and big global challenge: 30 cars from blanc sheet of paper in such short time, design in Italy, composite manufacturing in Taiwan, suppliers all over the globe. In order to cope with this incredible challenge KCMG decided to assign the design, the development and the manufacturing of the cars to his long partner, YCOM.
• It’s the first Formula 4 with the Halo, so the safety rules are extremely severe!
• It’s the first Formula car with a Hybrid Powertrain, that has been developed purposely for this car by Magneti Marelli and Autotecnica.
• The basic principles of this system could be used for future generation of Formula, GT, or Turing cars.
• It’s the first time that there is a completely new car just for a single event: it’s effectively a car done for FIA.
• The design started in December 2018 and the first test of car #001 was held in Italy at the beginning of May. During this time the car was designed, manufactured homologated according to the 2019 Formula 4 regulation.
• In May and June, the car has been tested for almost 3000Km, and then the production of the cars for the race has started massively in Taiwan and Italy. The plan is to shake down all the cars by October, in order to be fully ready for the race in November.
• The car will feature a hybrid powertrain. There is an MGU able to generate 12 KW and a Super Capacitor which accumulate energy under braking and release it under acceleration.
• Hitech GP will be the single organization that will run the cars during the weekend.
• The car will have specified livery for each nation in order to best identify the drivers, that will get to know the car only at the first practice session on Friday in Vallelunga.
• The cars will have identical setup, the data will be shared between the drivers and the engineers during the weekend, and a limited set of tires will be used.